My flexibility and experience as an artist and business woman allows me to provide an enjoyable art buying process whether you are a new or an experienced art buyer. I take pride in focusing on my customers’ requests and respecting your vision. I strive always for my artwork to honor those sentimental places in time... and for them to be enjoyed for generations to come.
Sonja Petersen Cantu is an artist born and raised in Virginia. She offers custom artwork and is best known for her house drawings and pet portraits. She works with each customer in choosing the subject and the style of their own artwork in custom designed pieces.
Her talent for capturing visual traits of a subject creates emotional connections within her classic style of art. She takes pride in focusing on her customers’ requests, respecting their visions, and collaborating with them during the creative process.
Sonja started selling and commissioning individual drawings in her teens while growing up in Culpeper, Virginia. After studying painting and printmaking at VCU and history at UMW, she launched her career in marketing with the City of Fredericksburg Parks and Recreation Department, ran her own graphic design studio, and is now currently working in Public Information with the City. Similar to the legs holding up a table, Sonja thrives on the energy of balancing all three passions: her work, her family and her daily sessions in her home art studio.
- Fredericksburg Fine Arts Exhibit, Honorable Mention Drawing, 2018
- Fredericksburg Fine Arts Exhibit, Honorable Mention Acrylics, 2018
- Fredericksburg Fine Arts Exhibit, 2nd Place Drawing, 2017
- People and Their Pets, Fredericksburg Area Museum, 2019
- Fredericksburg Home & Garden Show, Expo Center, Fredericksburg VA 2015-2019
- Fine Arts Exhibit, Dorothy Hart Comm Center, Fredericksburg, VA '10, '12, '15-'18
- Holiday Candlelight Tour, Caretaker's Cottage, Fredericksburg, VA 2017
- Fredericksburg Pet Show, Expo Center, Fredericksburg, VA 2015-2016
- Art in the Park, Farmers Market, Fredericksburg, VA 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Mardi Gras Exhibiting Artist, Culpeper Gold and Jewelry, Culpeper VA 2015
- Shadows and Reflections, Louisa Arts Center Purcell Gallery, Louisa VA 2014
- Postcards from the Edge, Visual Aids, New York, NY 2013
- Fredericksburg Art Festival, Riverfront Park, Fredericksburg, VA September 2012
- Commerical Building Display, Art District Lafayette Blvd Bldg, Fredericksburg, VA 2012-2013
- Paintings on Exhibit, The Pear Tree, Spotsylvania, VA March 2011
- Meet the Artist, Autumn Songs, Culpeper, VA 2010
Alison Brophy Champion, Cultivating Artist Choices, Culpeper Star Exponent, 2013
Susan Larson, Tension Between Traditional & Abstract, Front Porch Fredericksburg, January 2015
Anita Sherman, Biz Bio, Culpeper Times, October 2015